Tonight you'll have the opportunity to work on opinion writing.
Topic: People shouldn't watch television because there aren't many educational programs.
Directions: Write an opinion piece on the topic above. Tell us where you obtained some facts.
1. Write a 1-2 sentence electrifying introduction to this topic. Start with a strong fact, quote, or question.
2. State your position/claim on this topic.
3. Provide 2 reasons to help support your claim.
1. Start this paragraph with "first of all".
2. Elaborate on reason #1 with strong evidence.
1. Start this paragraph with "Another reason".
2. Elaborate on reason #2 with strong evidence.
1. Restate your position/claim on this topic.
2. Remind the reader why your opinion on this topic matters.
3. Call to action.
- Use evidence to really support your claim
- Pay attention to grammar and spelling so people take you seriously
- Include facts, examples, quotes, relevant information to support claim
- Get the reader to CARE about your opinion
- Yelling will turn the reader off