Time is moving fast. We have a full menu this week and plenty to do before Thanksgiving break. The Unit 2 Social Studies Assessment has been put on hold until a further date. I'll keep you posted.
Conferences - they're going to be fast. Be ready and on time. I will quickly go over a few goals for your child to work on from now until end of January. I'll hand back some work. Each conference will begin with, "What's are some celebrations you'd like to share regarding the 5th grade year?" All members of the conference will answer this question. ALL STUDENTS NEED TO BE PRESENT AT THE CONFERENCE. ALL STUDENTS NEED TO BRING THEIR READING, WRITING, MATH, AND SCIENCE JOURNALS TO MR. FREDERICK'S CONFERENCE.
SOUND OF MUSIC - Time to start learning the soundtrack to the film. You can find it on Itunes, Spotify, YouTube, or other music media sites. On December 18 and 19, we'll have SOM sing-a-long in class. Students are encouraged to dress up as their favorite character, but certainly not obligated.
- to the Fireballs doing fantastic job on their performance Friday morning
- to the Fireballs for finishing up our read aloud, Wonder
- to the Fireballs and the parents for a really nice Personal Narrative publishing day.
Work in progress
- all students still need to Blog 3 out of the 4 nights
- all students need to keep their reading and writing journals organized
Curriculum menu for week 13.
- Students will work on stirring their empathy through personal response
- Students will work on letting the text revise their image of the character
- We begin Memoir Writing
- Students will explore Unit 2's big essential question: HOW DID THE AGE OF EXPLORATION AFFECT THE NEW WORLD?
- Students will answer these guiding questions: why did explorers come to the new world? who were the explorers and what did they find? what explorations were made by land? where in the Americas did Europeans claim land?
- We'll continue to role play and focus on the guiding questions.
- Students will work on unit 7,
- inactive, insignificant, semiannual, semicolon
- Students will try to incorporate the words into their daily writing
- Students will continue to learn the proper parts of speech for each word
Boys vs. Girls Contest:
"??? song" B
- "Let the mystery be" - 10,000 Maniacs
- "Moonlight becomes you" - Frank Sinatra
- "Under Pressure" - Queen w/ David Bowie
Inspirational Quotes: Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.