Cloudy and cooler weather greeted us last night. Good to see some greenery and hear the rain dancing on my roof. I really enjoyed reading the FAMILY BLOGGER responses because of the colorful details that were used to create some interesting endings to stories. The public speaking deliveries were quite strong this week. The Fireballs came prepared. Let's all work hard this week even if Halloween is knocking on our door.
HEALTH: Puberty causes all kinds of changes in your body. 5th grade is a time when these changes may begin to occur. For example, the skin and scalp may suddenly get oily very easily. Take caring of one's hygiene is very important. Read this fun poem. Please be observant of body odor and teeth cleaning. THANKS.
Mum said to have a shower,
And wash my hair well too.
I've been in here for ages,
I think that that will do.
Uh, oh, the towel's dirty,
Maybe I really oughter,
Next time I have a shower,
Stand underneath the water
- to the Fireballs for doing a really nice job on their newscasts. Eye contact, preparedness, expression, and power slides were solid!
- to the Fireballs for being accepting of the Frederick's Follies news
Camp W - Promo
Work in progress
- all students still need to work on reading every night while filling out their 2 post-its. THIS IS IMPERATIVE.
- all students need to work on using more varied expression while speaking
- all students should continue to work on finding their outfit for Genius Hour Presentation beginning on November 6
Curriculum menu for week 10.
- Students will work on stirring their empathy through personal response
- Students will work on letting the text revise their image of the character
- Students will work on looking at other people's writing differently. WHAT IS THE CLEVER TRICK THIS WRITER HAS DONE TO AFFECT THE READER THIS WAY?
- Students will work on learning from mentor text by using writer's notebook not just as place to gather entries, but as a workbench.
- Students will finish up their personal narratives this week
- PUBLISHING DAY IS TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR NOV. 12, 11-12:20. PARENTS ARE INVITED TO ATTEND.
- Students will explore Unit 2's big essential question: HOW DID THE AGE OF EXPLORATION AFFECT THE NEW WORLD?
- Students will answer these guiding questions: why did explorers come to the new world? who were the explorers and what did they find? what explorations were made by land? where in the Americas did Europeans claim land?
- Students will practice using good eye contact
- Students will practice using varied expression
- Students will work on their Genius Hour project in class.
- Students will continue to work on all Unit 5 words: aquaculture, aquamarine, aquatic, Mediterranean, subterranean, terrace, terrain, territory
- Students will try to incorporate the words into their daily writing
- Students will continue to learn the proper parts of speech for each word
Boys vs. Girls Contest(every 2 weeks)
- Mull of Kintyre - Girls
- Mad World - Boys
1. "Artifice" by SOHN
2. "Say you Love me" Jessie Ware3. "Immigrant Song" Led Zeppelin
Loving this expressive and gospelish song!
Genius Hour Project-we're getting closer to the end.
- Students will work on organizing their slides in class
- Students will continue to cite their sources
- Students will work on starting their presentation with a hook - start off with a bang: quote, dramatic statement, plenty of description
- Students will work on ending with a strong note
- Students will continue to work on finding appropriate 2-3 quotes
- Students will continue to work on their style of delivery. They should also practice at home in front of family members. Record the delivery.
- All presentations will be on Nov. 6 and 7 beginning at 12:30.
- All presenters wear an appropriate costume on the day of their presentation
- All presentation should be between 3-5 minutes
- Index cards can be used on the day of the presentation
- Superintendent Gonzales, Principal Maijala, and Mr. Frederick's parents will be invited. The Fireballs' parents are also invited.
Quotes to Live by: Henry David Thoreau
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.”